Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Touch Ups

Simplicity is key.

So I decided to have a bit more fun in photoshop and redesign some websites that I visit occasionally. These sites aren't necessarily bad, but I believe that they could be designed better. So here is what I ended up with:

The following is a Legend of Zelda fansite, www.zelda-infinite.com, that I enjoy visiting from time to time. As you can see, the website is very busy and a bit outdated.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here is something I quickly created using photoshop:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As you can see, my redesigned site is MUCH easier on the eye. Of course, it may not be busy ENOUGH to hold attention, but I think it is a better design and layout than the former.

Here is another site I visit occasionally, www.bleachexile.com. The problem here is the ads that they have - they really clutter the site. Also, the site is busy (not as busy as the Zelda site) and the sidebars also clutter and distract attention.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And here is what I created:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I do not usually like to blow my own horn, but I really like what I did with the Bleach Exile header. I also think that the header including a sign in option is very helpful and much easier than looking for a place to sign in for the forums or downloads.

--------------

I really believe that simplicity is key for ANY website. You need to keep it simple so that ANYONE can navigate it and know what is going on. If the site is too cluttered, then your attention is divided and you may have more difficulty finding what you are looking for.

1 comment:

A Boy Brushed Red said...

Simplicity is key.
In class they teach us the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Silly